Monday, February 15, 2010

Week 3 Reading Response

3 things that you learned/connected with; 2 thing you disagree with or have questions; and 1 thing you would really like to learn more about. . .

Agreements
1) Ohhh, I really connect with the point where in one culture, it can be considered right, but in a different culture, it would be considered as wrong. Take for instance eating at the dinner table. In Korea, it is polite to eat with your hand underneath the table so you don't bother the person sitting next to you. However, in Japan, it is considered highly disrespectful to do that (probably because people hid weapons for assassination in history).
2) Probability/Correlation Propositions and Predictions are at times highly accurate, while at other times are not. Even if the prediction is true, we as teachers still need to still hold high expectations for our students.
3) Last big point that hit me was the idea that a good ethnography isn't the ability to answer questions, but to make clear how the audience or subjects are affected by the research. The project isn't a documentary with a telephoto lens, but an interactive project with the subjects.

Disagreement
1) I disagree that the classroom is an economic system of behavior. Students listen to the teacher not for kind treatment and purveying of knowledge, but to get a good grade or credits for the course. I want this student mentality to change, but currently, that is what I see as a teacher.
2) I don't exactly disagree, but I am confused in the portion on myths. I read a lot of common events and names, and I can understand there may be some tall tales associated with the names, but is it assuming that a majority on the information on the subjects are myths?

1) I found it odd about the section where the teacher touches the heads of students. I assume this is for appreciation or acknowledging the students for positive behavior or academic progress. However, this seems as if it were for a younger crowd of students, such as elementary school, or maybe even the lower grades of middle school. What is the target audience for this ethnography?

No comments:

Post a Comment